Re: Elisp LSP Server

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Elisp LSP Server
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 08:22:06 -0400

> - Has anyone ever tried figuring out something similar?  Surely, in 45
>   years of Emacs, someone must have done something like that?

The idea of an ELisp LSP server has been mentioned back when ELisp LSP
clients (lsp-mode and eglot) got off the ground.
I don't know of anyone having attempted to implement it, tho.

> - If someone attempts to create a cli tool that potentially could
> introspect, lint, format, and maybe even refactor elisp outside of
> Emacs, where would they need to be looking?

I don't understand what kind of answer you're looking for.
AFAIK most of the pieces are readily available in Emacs itself.
So I'd expect it's largely an effort of integrating those pieces (but
there's probably a fair bit of code missing to implement the server
part of the LSP protocol).

> - Is it possible to build something like this by examining relevant
> pieces of C in Emacs codebase?

I'd expect an ELisp LSP server would be written 100% in ELisp.

        Stefan