Re: Some improvements for cl-flet

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Some improvements for cl-flet
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 08:05:24 +0800

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>   > Yes, but SYMBOL-MACROLET is relatively common in Common Lisp programs,
>   > which in itself warrants its inclusion in a Common Lisp emulation
>   > library, IMO.
>
> I am sure you know what you're referring to.  But I am shocked this
> would be used frequently.  Can you plesae show me why and how?

In Common Lisp, symbol macros are generally not defined at the toplevel
through DEFINE-SYMBOL-MACRO, as the usefulness of symbol macros defined
this way is limited and prone to confusion.  So when a Common Lisp
programmer needs to define a symbol macro, it usually works to use
SYMBOL-MACROLET instead.