Re: Elisp LSP Server

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Elisp LSP Server
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 17:15:45 -0400

  > Yes, but the use-case the OP put forward seems very plausible: sadly,
  > many people utilize GitHub to develop their Emacs customizations, and
  > making it easier to work on Emacs customizations using GitHub and its
  > bundled proprietary software (VS Code) will only encourage people to
  > install VS Code.  Even if people will only use it for "Go To Definition"
  > or "Completion at point", I think it will still be a great setback.

Thank you for pointing this out and arguing the point.

On the technical level, we have been talking about two different issues:

* providing to Emacs the features of the language server for
editing Emacs Lisp.

* making then available through the Language Server so that
people can take advantage of them in VS Code.

The first is clearly a step forward; the second one be an own goal.
Actually, two own goals at once.

In addition to the own-goal of encouraging use of VS Code,
we would score the own goal of encouraging use of GitHub.
GitHub has done tremendous harm to the free software movement,
by spreading confusion and misinformation about licenses.

We need to do more to point out the wrongs that GitHub has done
(and continues to do) -- not try to "cooperate" with it.