Re: character sets as they relate to “Raw” string literals for elisp

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: character sets as they relate to “Raw” string literals for elisp
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2021 10:57:53 +0000

Hello, Eli.

On Sat, Oct 09, 2021 at 09:18:43 +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2021 20:01:15 +0000
> > Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org, rms@gnu.org, juri@linkov.net, db48x@db48x.net,
> >   stefankangas@gmail.com, yuri.v.khan@gmail.com, monnier@iro.umontreal.ca
> > From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>

> > > And, of course, if you must have only ASCII characters in the Info
> > > files themselves, you can always regenerate them from the sources,
> > > without using the --enable-encoding switch.  It's so simple that it's
> > > hardly worth another round of futile "discussions" that never go
> > > anywhere.

> > That's not what I want.  I want UTF-8 characters, so that people's names,
> > etc., can be displayed correctly.  I simply don't want the PUNCTUATION in
> > texi files to get translated to Unicode characters not on my keyboard,
> > and which can't be cleanly displayed on my Linux console.  makeinfo and
> > friends don't have options for this.

> But Emacs already automatically translates those punctuation
> characters at display time in your case, ....

Not satisfactorally.  All these characters have homoglyph face on them,
which is ugly and I don't like.  (It would be confusing, and thus worse,
without this face.)

--- (EM DASH) appears as an inverse question mark on my screen.  So do
several other punctuation marks, I think.

> so what exactly is the problem you want to solve?

I want to be able to search for @code{foo} by typing the six keys:

    C-s ` f o o '

, like I could with previous versions of Texinfo.  I want this by having
these characters in the buffer, not by some clumsy workaround in isearch
(which I think was tried some time ago, but wasn't really satisfactory).

I want to be able to _use_ info buffers without restriction.  For
example, if I wanted to copy `foo' to a doc string in a file.el, I
should be able just to do that.  At the moment, I'd have to copy just
foo, then type in the quote marks by hand.  Not a big thing, but
annoying all the same.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).