Re: Emacs master: different (ugly) font in org-mode [Windows, macOS]

From: Protesilaos Stavrou
Subject: Re: Emacs master: different (ugly) font in org-mode [Windows, macOS]
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2021 07:27:32 +0300

On 2021-10-06, 17:40 -0400, Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com> wrote:

> Angelo Graziosi <angelo.g0@libero.it> writes:
>
>> What Protesilaos suggested seems to work and it is what I will use on
>> Windows and macOS.
>
> It seems unfortunate if org-mode will suddenly come with a poorly
> rendered font on a major platform, where IIUC we previously had
> something that was at least okay.
>
> Are the org-mode developers aware of this issue, and what do they have
> to say about it?

This has been in Org 9.5 since commit 667cb6f1a on 2021-04-27.  I had
started the discussion about it in an email from 2020-09-09,[1] in which
I had attached a diff.  No one commented on it back then and, to my
knowledge, none has voiced an opinion about the change ever since.

That granted, I now think this is a bad default.  Such a feature should
be opt-in, otherwise it can catch users by surprise (as shown in this
discussion---also related is bug#46971 for which I sent a patch with
regard to the modus-themes).

Can Org be patched for emacs-28?  How does this work in terms of syncing
with org.git?  My suggestion would be to revert commit 667cb6f1a in
org.git, though I am not sure how to proceed.

What do you think?

[1] <https://list.orgmode.org/875z8njaol.fsf@protesilaos.com/>

--
Protesilaos Stavrou