Re: [ELPA] New packages: boxy, boxy-headlines

From: Tyler Grinn
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New packages: boxy, boxy-headlines
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 19:14:58 -0400

>> https://gitlab.com/tygrdev/boxy
>> https://gitlab.com/tygrdev/boxy-headlines
>
> I just pushed them to elpa.git.
> Some comments about the code:
>
> - Why use `face-spec-set` instead of putting the spec directly in the
>   `defface`?

This is my first package so I'm not sure I have good answers to all your
questions.

Defface wasn't working for me when updating the color scheme. Repeated
calls to defface don't seem to apply changes, while directly modifying
the face-defface-spec does.

> - Your packages have no ;;;###autoload cookie.  The doc of boxy.el
>   doesn't make it clear what's a likely entry point (i.e. how to start
>   using it), but for `boxy-headings`, it seems at least the
>   `boxy-headlines` function should have such a cookie.

I think you're right about the boxy-headlines command. boxy.el provides
the boxy major mode and related commands, should those be autoloaded?

> - When taking contributions from other people, please make sure they
>   have signed the needed paperwork *before* rather than after accepting
>   the contribution.

I am the sole contributor to this project as of right now but I will
keep that in mind.

> Oh, I forgot the main question (the one that got me looking more
> closely in the first place): why do you use `cl-defmethod` everywhere
> yet with only ever a single method defined under the same name?

That was so (oref) and (oset) can work without ELC complaining about
'unknown slots'. Is there another macro that uses class specializers?

Also, why not assign custom variables and faces to a group?

Thank you for taking a look at the code and providing some feedback,
much appreciated.