Re: emacs.pdmp not always rebuilt

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs.pdmp not always rebuilt
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 17:34:44 +0300

> Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 14:18:41 +0000
> From: Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org>
> cc: larsi@gnus.org, monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > What do you mean by "debugged or updated", and how would that affect
> > what we do at loadup time, but not what we do at any other time,
> > including in interactive sessions?
>
> The problem that Lars, you and possibly others experienced (make
> continuing when it should have stopped) was due to the fact that "call1
> (Qsubstitute_command_keys, Fget (errname, Qerror_message));" in
> print_error_message() failed when it was called while loading the first
> files in loadup.  Are you sure that this call to call1 cannot possibly
> fail when fboundp is t?

If fboundp returns non-nil, it means the symbol's function cell is not
void, i.e. the symbol can be used as a function.  Right?  So the call
can only fail if the function itself has a bug, right?  And in the
latter case, how is that different from any other Lisp function called
during loadup?

> What could happen during interactive sessions is something else.

I think it's the same.  IOW, any problem that could happen at loadup
time could also happen during a regular session, and will have the
same results.