Re: The emacs-28 release branch has been created

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: The emacs-28 release branch has been created
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2021 20:49:57 +0300

> Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2021 20:33:00 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > Suppose you run "make all" in src and the native-lisp directory doesn't
> > exist.
> > Make sees that the prerequisite "../native-lisp" of "all" doesn't exist, so
> > it
> > remembers that it will have to build it after building emacs$(EXEEXT),
> > $(pdmp),
> > and $(OTHER_FILES).  But by that time native-lisp exists because of "make
> > compile-first" in the lisp directory.
>
> I think that's the problem to fix: compile-first isn't supposed to run
> in this case, because all the *.elc files are already present in the
> tarball.  Can you figure out why does compile-first run? which one of
> the *.elc files it depends on is outdated?

IOW, how is this different from the build without native-compilation,
where compile-first is invoked, but does nothing (because the *.elc
files are already built)?  In the native-compilation build, Make is
supposed to look at the same *.elc files, just at a longer list of
them, so how come it finds something outdated?