Re: A read-based grep-like for symbols (el-search?) (was Do shorthands b

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: A read-based grep-like for symbols (el-search?) (was Do shorthands break basic tooling (tags, grep, etc)? (was Re: Shorthands have landed on master))
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2021 15:16:19 +0300

On 02.10.2021 11:36, Adam Porter wrote:
Maybe I misunderstood you, but having packages declare their own symbol
shorthands doesn't seem practical to me.

No, that's not what I meant.

For example, if
"some-nice-utils.el" declared its shorthand to be "snu-", that would
conflict with a package "snu.el".  It would seem to make the existing
single-namespace problem worse by allowing packages to claim more of the
namespace, similar to "domain squatting."

The shorthands would still be decided in the calling file. Just the part that is "shortened" will be predetermined. The LONGHAND-PREFIX part.