Re: Codifying some aspects of Elisp code style and improving pretty prin

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Codifying some aspects of Elisp code style and improving pretty printer
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2021 09:05:25 +0200

akater <nuclearspace@gmail.com> writes:

> But I don't think in Lisp this could be enforced in its entirety which
> is why I said that indentation mechanism should not attempt to enforce
> this.  It's very subjective.  Often, I want to keep a long line and a
> couple of moments afterwards I decide that it's too long after all.

A coding style that's not automatically enforced isn't very useful, in
my opinion.  It just leads to even more arguing, with some people
insisting that it should always be adhered to, and others arguing that
this is a special case where it shouldn't.

We (the maintainers) usually touch up code before committing to adhere
to our opinions of how the code should look, and hope that submitters
pick up on it after a while (so that we don't have to keep on doing it).