Re: PR: dired-do-create-files now checks for trailing slashes in the tar

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: PR: dired-do-create-files now checks for trailing slashes in the target
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 06:42:35 -0700

Rudi C <rudiwillalwaysloveyou@gmail.com> writes:

> But we can add a new custom variable. I am all for giving everyone options.
> I don't think it can integrate with `dired-create-destination-dirs' though;
> `dired-create-destination-dirs-trailing-slash-special'?

I have been convinced that this feature is generally useful, just as it
is useful in rsync (as Tassilo reminded us).

I also don't see any situation where this could lead to a problem, as
you will never complete to "foo/" unless that directory already exists:

1. If there is a file "foo", you complete to "foo" and presumably you
  just get an error if you type a "/" to get "foo/" and then RET.

2. If there is a directory "foo", you complete to "foo/" and you get the
   current behavior which is to move the file into that already existing
   directory.

BTW, in rsync I can't do "foo/bar/".  Does it make sense to support
that, perhaps optionally?  Much like "mkdir -p".