Re: Do shorthands break basic tooling (tags, grep, etc)? (was Re: Shorth

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Do shorthands break basic tooling (tags, grep, etc)? (was Re: Shorthands have landed on master)
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 22:29:24 +0300

> Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 19:05:50 +0000
> Cc: psainty@orcon.net.nz, joaotavora@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>
>
> > The shorthands don't disrupt anything unless they are used.  And using
> > them is completely opt-in, and intended for specific situations where
> > it is justified.
>
> I haven't opted in.  How do I opt out of somebody else's use of these?

What use?  No one used it yet in the Emacs sources.

> > I'm not aware of any plans to use shorthands in Emacs itself.  People
> > talk and discuss these possibilities, and that's okay.  But that's
> > just talk at this point, certainly for Emacs 28.
>
> Even if it's just talk, how will we know that it's just talk?  And how
> long will it stay just talk?  Clearly there's intent to use this,
> otherwise nobody would have bothered implementing it.

No, the intent is different.  And we will know because enough eyes
watch the commits that go in.

> OK, how do you suggest I find all occurrences of jit-lock-functions in
> the Emacs Lisp sources after shorthands start being used?

The same as today.  With the same probability of success.  Grep cannot
guarantee 100% success, because it cannot catch symbols that are
generated at run time, and we already have such features in place.
E.g., search the Emacs tree for "(intern (format ", and you will see
how many of those are already here.

So please calm down, your emotions are misplaced.  There's no
catastrophe, certainly not as long as shorthands aren't used inside
Emacs.