Re: bug#36767: 26.1; request: add more quick keys to the *Help* buffer

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: bug#36767: 26.1; request: add more quick keys to the *Help* buffer
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 00:18:35 +0200

> Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> writes:
>
>> You can see how it looks like. I have attached a small screenshot too,
>> so you don't need to apply it just to see how it looks like. The file
>> name at the end of the header is probably clear on it's own; the
>> symbol link is as clear/unclear as rest of the links in the buffer.
>
> (You're doing all these mails in a bug report that has been archived, so
> the only other people who's reading them are the ones in the CCs.  If
> you wish to discuss things publicly, either do so in emacs-devel or open
> a new bug report.)
I actually wondered why I was getting all those autmoated responses from bug
archive, but don't know how to fix that :). Sorry. Wasn't my intention. I have
removed debbugs from the CC, and atached emacs-devel, hopefully it's better now?
Should I remove the bug number too?

> I fixed up your patch so that it works more reliably, but then I
> remembered why I didn't add the link: We don't know at this point
> whether the symbol in question is documented in the manual.  Adding a
> link to something that fails is bad UI.  And we can't check whether the
> symbol exists in the manual when generating the *Help* buffer, because
> it's slow, and the trade-off (making the command slow versus an extra
> link) is not a good one.

Sure, it is ok. I don't think either it is very good idea to have failing
links. Same happens with 'i' command too, but that is not as visible.