Re: bug#49822: master e32c7d2: Change Python eval to send directly inste

From: Augusto Stoffel
Subject: Re: bug#49822: master e32c7d2: Change Python eval to send directly instead of using temporary files
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2021 21:00:28 +0200

On Tue,  7 Sep 2021 at 21:31, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

>> From: Augusto Stoffel <arstoffel@gmail.com>
>> Cc: andrewjmoreton@gmail.com,  Mark.Barton@disney.com,  emacs-devel@gnu.org,
>>   schwab@linux-m68k.org,  monnier@iro.umontreal.ca,  49822@debbugs.gnu.org,
>>   michael.albinus@gmx.de,  larsi@gnus.org
>> Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2021 20:13:36 +0200

>> > In any case, IMO this should be a defconst with a suitable doc string,
>> > so that we'd have this stuff documented for posterity.
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>>
>> Another open question (at least to me) is what happens when you put an
>> SSH connection in the game.  Presumably it has some buffer limits as
>> well, and this seems even harder to determine exactly.
>
> SSH connection between what and what?

I'm sitting at machine A but my inferior process is running on
machine B and the machines talk via SSH.

There are several steps in the communication here: Emacs -> SSH client
-> SSH server -> inferior process.  Each step has potential limitations.
If the SSH server talks to the inferior process via a PTY (I'm just
pondering, and I don't know if this is usual setup or not), then we
would have to take machine B's PTY restrictions into account, which
would defeat the purpose of knowing the exact characteristics of machine
A's PTYs.