Re: Representation of the Emacs userbase on emacs-devel

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Representation of the Emacs userbase on emacs-devel
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2021 06:40:21 +0200

Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com> writes:

>> On Sep 2, 2021, at 11:28 PM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>>
>> That's only true for changes of the default behavior, and key bindings
>> are examples of such a change, at least the way they are proposed.
>> There was talk about introducing a minor mode which would then be free
>> to make controversial changes, including key bindings, but no one
>> stepped forward to write such a mode.  Which I think is a pity, given
>> how easy it should be to do that, and how many problems and
>> frustrations it could potentially solve.
>
> There can even be a new mode for each new version of Emacs. And I imagine a
> tutorial would just say “M-x emacs-28-defaults-mode RET to enable the sane
> defaults”. How do we decide what is turned on in that mode? If we know what to
> turn on, writing it is trivial, no?
Exactly, the problem is: how you decide what is sane? :-). I don't think emacs
devs has chosen to ship with "insane defaults" on purpose. Or are you emacs
devs? :-)

With other words, emacs devs already think that default options are sane. So I
don't think that wording here should be "enable sane defaults", but "enable
different defaults". For example enable "VSCode like defaults" or enable
"Eclipse like defaults" or something else.