Re: Gitlab Migration

From: Yuchen Pei
Subject: Re: Gitlab Migration
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2021 09:45:12 +1000

André A. Gomes <andremegafone@gmail.com> writes:

João Távora <joaotavora@gmail.com> writes:

[...] but in fact I believe that the "slow", unfamiliar, peculiar,
old-school whatever-you-want-to-call-them methods used in Emacs
development may in fact be "aces up our sleeve", not just a means to
appease those that have been using them for a number of years.

I couldn't agree more. There are historical (and technical) reasons for the Emacs development being the way it is. From my point of view, the point of view of an enthusiast and absolute beginner, I've matured respect and appreciation for the modus operandi of this community. I
acknowledge that "easy" options are often illusions.

I don't think Emacs cultivates "elitism".  But it does require
proficiency, which is only sensible. If getting more people on board entails lowering the bar, then Emacs would be subscribing to "worse is
better".  Emacs doesn't stand for that, and it's not on a race.

1+

I also want to add some personal thoughts about "old" vs. "young / new" in this respect.

I've only used emacs for about one year (had been using vim for like 10 years before that), so all the "old" emacs way of doing things (both usage and development) have been in fact very new and shiny to me, but as it turns out overall I very much prefer these "old" ways than the new ways that are older for me :)

--
Best,
Yuchen

PGP Key: 47F9 D050 1E11 8879 9040  4941 2126 7E93 EF86 DFD0
          <https://ypei.me/assets/ypei-pubkey.txt>