Re: Organizing the NEWS file a bit better

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: Organizing the NEWS file a bit better
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2021 06:36:35 +1000

>> - Under "Incompatible Editing Changes" we have several items relating
>>   to specialized modes (f90-mode, nroff-mode, vc, project).  Do these
>>   entries belong under "Specialized Modes and Packages"?
>
> Uhm...  I think it makes sense to have the incompatible stuff in one
> section?  It makes it easy for people who only want to know what might
> have broken in their code.

I think this is an important one. My 'use case' for looking in NEWS is

1. See what has changed and may require that I review/update my
configuration. I might read this before upgrading or immediately after.
Being able to identify a specific section which alerts me to
incompatible changes is important.

2. When I find something not working after an upgrade, I will look to
see if some change may have occurred. For this use case, I tend to use
C-s and search for specific keywords rather than general reading of the
file. Anything which would help in this regard would be useful.