Re: [elpa] New package: vc-got

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [elpa] New package: vc-got
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 17:34:05 +0300

On 31.08.2021 17:00, Omar Polo wrote:
All the code was written by people with a copyright assignment, and I'll
ensure that this will hold true in the future, so if it becomes really
popular we can always move it to core later, right?

Yup.

It's an alternative client for Git repositories, right?

We already have vc-git.
Yes and no.  got uses the git format for*bare repositories*  and in this
sense it's always possible to switch back and forth from got and git and
collaborate with other peoples.  (in fact I'm using it to track the
emacs repo on my machine).  But Got it's not a Git porcelain, it is
another VCS that happens to use the same format for storing
commits/tags/branches.

So you don't (and can't) use Git to commit or even init/clone/push?

But can collaborate with others. It's an interesting tradeoff.

Then yes, the decision should be based on what we know about its popularity.