Re: new package: sketch-mode

From: Qiantan Hong
Subject: Re: new package: sketch-mode
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 06:00:01 +0000

> I am writing primarily to notify you about a package, sketch-mode, I am
> working on. It provides a handy interface to quickly draw svg's using, well
> Emacs, but in particular svg.el and transient.el.
> It is handy in particular for creating svg sketches really fast, while of
> course, it has the advantage over other svg drawing applications that it is
> very hackable in your favorite langauge :)

This looks very exciting! Is the code available somewhere?

One important question I have is, do you implement it by putting an SVG
overlay/property over a single dummy character,
or do you put it on a range of text that *semantically* correspond the SVG
being displayed?
I strongly recommend the latter model because it makes it possible to blend in
Emacs,
e.g. you can get cursor movement, selection, copy/yank etc relatively easily.
Just for a started, suppose underlying text is structured as one word
correspond to and SVG element,
then one can use forward-word backward-word to move between elements.
And there’s much more to explore using other existing structural editing
command.
On the other hand, overlaying over a single dummy character just sounds like
inventing
a different, isolated editor emulated in Emacs.

I posted some more in-depth discussion over such issue here
http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/5630#comment-96710

If you find the above proposals compelling, I’m happy to collaborate on it if
that’s helpful!
I once experimented building a music notation software using the above
discipline
(character -> note head, word -> chord, sentence -> beamed note, paragraph ->
bar)
but eventually I abandoned it and get away with MuseScore.

Best,
Qiantan