Re: Gitlab Migration

From: Theodor Thornhill
Subject: Re: Gitlab Migration
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 21:50:43 +0200

On 29 August 2021 21:03:45 CEST, Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> wrote:
>theo@thornhill.no writes:
>
>Hi Theo,
>
>> Repo with double edits:
>> https://git.sr.ht/~theo/rebase/log
>>
>> Ok, so what happens?
>>
>> 1. Make some commits, push them
>> 2. Rebase your stuff locally, get this warning after:
>
>Well, looking at "git log --graph" of your repo, I'm pretty sure you
>ended there because in step 2 you rebased commits which you had already
>pushed and later merged the upstream branch with the locally rebased
>one.  Rebasing commits which are already pushed is a no-go unless you
>are working in your private branch.

Yeah, absolutely. Thing is these things happen to people and are possibly why
people find git hard. At least when your gui hides the fact that git pull is
fetch and merge behind a +button, or something like that.

And this is also a way to get duplicated commits without doing very complicated
footgun things. Git itself hands you the gun in this case.

Theo