Re: Gitlab Migration

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Gitlab Migration
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 17:07:10 -0400

> Perhaps the people that contribute regularly to Emacs could describe
> their workflow in more detail.  For example, things like how they like
> to interact with bug reports (if they use the Debbugs Emacs package, for
> example),

FWIW, here are my main criticisms of debbugs for my own personal use:

- Can't search the database when I'm offline.
  I really wish the database was stored in Git, so I could easily have
  a clone of it.  This said, compared to other issue tracking systems,
  the fact that it works over email makes it at least partly usable
  offline, which is a big plus.

- No notion of "subscription" to a bug, so replies will sometimes fail
  to reach me.

- The notion of "archived" bugs is a pain in the rear when you send
  a new message and the message just bounces back with "the bug is
  archived".
  Either get rid of it, or automatically unarchive bugs when a new reply
  is received, or something (e.g. ask for a confirmation message to
  unarchive the bug and add the already sent message), but the current
  way this is handled is *really* poor.

- I find it a big difficult to classify bugs.  I'm not sure exactly what
  I'd like, and maybe some of it can be done via tags and other things
  already, but I think I'd like it if bugs could be "assigned" to persons
  and/or to files and/or to "subsystems", and maybe even combine this
  with ways to describe relationships between those things (so the
  search tools can known that a given file belongs to a particular
  subsystem, for example).

The poor web UI is of course another criticism but it mostly doesn't
affect me.

        Stefan