NonGNU ELPA: New package: taxy.el

From: Adam Porter
Subject: NonGNU ELPA: New package: taxy.el
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2021 15:20:14 -0500

Hi Stefan, et al,

I'd like to submit taxy.el to NonGNU ELPA:

https://github.com/alphapapa/taxy.el

A quick description, from the readme:

  This library provides a programmable way to classify arbitrary objects
  into a hierarchical taxonomy. (That’s a lot of fancy words to say that
  this lets you put things in nested groups.)

  Helpful features include:

  Dynamic taxonomies
      Objects may be classified into hierarchies automatically defined
      at runtime based on their attributes.

  Reusable taxonomies
      Taxonomy definitions may be stored in variables and reused in
      other taxonomies’ descendant groups.

Please see the attached patch for the nongnu.git repo:

Following the nongnu README.org file, I was unable to test the "make
build/taxy" step, because apparently my version of git doesn't have the
"--no-track" argument to the "git worktree" command (and upgrading git
manually is more than I want to do at the moment ;).  But I assume that
it will work correctly, because everything seems to be in order.

Assuming this is acceptable, I have a couple of quick questions:

1.  I didn't see anything about "externals" in the nongnu readme.
Forgive me, because this has probably been rehashed many times here, but
do I need to specify that manually, or is that the default for the
nongnu repo?  I do intend to maintain the package in my own repo.

2.  I currently have the version header on "0.1-pre".  Do I need to use
a "non-pre" version number in order for the package to be built and
published on (nongnu) ELPA?  I'm accustomed to tagging a "non-pre"
version number after the code has settled for a while, but I never
intentionally push anything to the master branch that is unsuitable for
use (i.e. when using MELPA).  If this is the case on ELPA, I'll just
need to iterate version numbers a bit more often, which is no problem.

Thanks,
Adam