Re: Haiku port

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Haiku port
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2021 21:19:16 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Is haikufont so different from the other font infrastructures that you
> couldn't do it?  Supporting HarfBuzz usually needs just a small number
> of functions, as the basics are already in hbfont.c.
>
> Or maybe you have specific questions about this, in which case please
> ask them.

BFont seems to be too basic.  Someone has given me details on using
FreeType and HarfBuzz in Haiku applications and I plan to look at that.

> OK, but then please add a comment there with this information, so this
> isn't forgotten if and when we change what we do for w32.

Done.

> AFAIU, cl, KCC, xlC, and aCC aren't GCC, right?

Yeah, I think I was a bit carried away at that time.

> I was talking about C source files and headers not specific to Haiku:
> those don't have 'extern "C"' guards anywhere.  They could fail to
> compile with a C++ compiler.

AFAIK, no Emacs header files are included by the haiku_*_support files,
which are the only files compiled with a C++ compiler.

The only interface between these files and the rest of Emacs is the
asynchronous IO mechanism in haiku_io.c, and the header haiku_support.h,
both of which are vetted to work.

> Hmm... maybe.  But then I guess I'm confused: what does the automatic
> detection of Haiku do, if one needs --with-be-app to have the
> windowing code?  IOW, why don't you assume --with-be-app if the
> automatic detection of Haiku succeeds?

I think it owes to the fact that the Haiku windowing backend is not
entirely complete.  Namely, the font driver needs work, and there are
some things I haven't quite worked out, such as child frames.

> Not all of them.

Fair enough.