Re: diary-lib.el how about adding diary-schedule

From: Gijs Hillenius
Subject: Re: diary-lib.el how about adding diary-schedule
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 09:33:20 +0200

On 21 August 2021 15:09 Lars Ingebrigtsen, wrote:

>> On the emacs wiki¹ I found a useful bit of code that allows adding an
>> weekly appointment in the diary file between two dates. Something that I
>> can't do with diary-block or diary-cyclic.
>>
>> The code on the wiki seems out of date, so I reworked it a tiny bit.
>
> [...]
>
>> %%(diary-schedule 15 7 2020 30 6 2021 3) 14:00 some weekly meeting
>
> [...]
>
>> Would it be useful to add this to diary-lib.el?
>>
>> 1) https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/DiaryMode

> Seems useful to me -- perhaps it should be called
> `diary-schedule-weekly'?
>
> But I don't use the diary, so I'm not sure...  Hm...  there's something
> called `diary-cyclic'?  With a cycle of 7, that's almost the same thing,
> although you have to be more careful about starting on the wrong day...

The way I understand it (..) : diary-cyclic does not let me set an
end-date, so a weekly entry is repeated "forever".

End-date is in diary-block, but then the entry is added every day
between begin and end date, instead of say, every Monday.

Perhaps diary-block could be improved to allow setting 'every N days'
like in diary-cyclic?