Re: Easy configuration of a site-lisp directory

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Easy configuration of a site-lisp directory
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2021 19:22:47 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com>
>> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2021 10:10:43 +0200
>>
>> > On a typical install Emacs takes you to the .el.gz, not to the .el in the
>> > original repo; whereas for C files in takes you to the original repo.
>> > That's
>> > what I meant by "work".
>>
>> I am not sure if --without-compress-install does it also even for make
>> install, but yes, that is why I also run from src folder. It save time
>> for compressing files and for copying files over.
>
> What is your problem with compressed *.el files?  When Emacs visits
> such a file, it uncompresses it, so you see the original source.  And
> yet people keep mentioning the .gz extension as if it were a huge
> problem.  What am I missing?
It takes time, at least on my computer. There is a noticable delay,
where everything freezes for a small amount of time, but it is like a
sudden break. I use to lookup helm for functions and variables a lot, so
it is annoying in the long run. At least for me on my fastest
computer. On the laptop it is even slower.

I also don't see the point of running make install every time after I
pulled and rebuild emacs, when I can equally well run it from src
folder. Just me.