Re: Gnus: user save directory not respected?

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Gnus: user save directory not respected?
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2021 08:20:26 +0200

"T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:

> Easiest to cite the code below:
> Doc says it uses gnus-article-save-directory' as the default directory
> to save, but that doesn't appear to happen in practice, and the code
> appears to not check that custom variable.
>
> (defun gnus-summary-save-in-mail (&optional filename)
>   "Append this article to Unix mail file.
> Optional argument FILENAME specifies file name.
> Directory to save to is default to `gnus-article-save-directory'."
>   (setq filename (gnus-read-save-file-name
>                 "Save %s in Unix mail file" filename
>                 gnus-mail-save-name gnus-newsgroup-name
>                 gnus-current-headers 'gnus-newsgroup-last-mail))

Hmm - it does check it: look at that `gnus-read-save-file-name' call.
The third arg FUNCTION is specified as `gnus-mail-save-name', defaulting
to the function `gnus-plain-save-name' - and that function uses
`gnus-article-save-directory's value.

If saving doesn't work for you, I have no idea why, I guess you have to
dig further or provide more information.

Michael.