Re: master b72f885: Make dlet work like let, not let*

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master b72f885: Make dlet work like let, not let*
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2021 16:33:08 +0300

> Feedback-ID:mattiase@acm.or
> From: Mattias Engdegård <mattiase@acm.org>
> Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2021 15:03:25 +0200
> Cc: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>,
>         emacs-devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> 1 aug. 2021 kl. 18.10 skrev Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>:
>
> > We had 'dlet' since more than a year
> > ago, so the ship has sailed quite some time ago, I'd say.
>
> `dlet` is new in Emacs 28. There is no compatibility problem.

People out there use Emacs 28 for a long time, so of course there is a
compatibility problem, albeit a smaller one than if we have already
had released Emacs with dlet.

Could you please tell what were the reasons that led you to make this
change?  Because I don't really understand the motivation.  Is it just
the name that lacks the '*' part, or is it something else?