Re: How to add pseudo vector types

From: Yuan Fu
Subject: Re: How to add pseudo vector types
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 12:36:33 -0400

> On Jul 27, 2021, at 11:40 PM, Stephen Leake <stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org>
> wrote:

>>> First, the only thing TS deletes is tree nodes, not text; it does not
>>> have a copy of the buffer.
>>>
>>> Why do you think we need to delete the tree nodes corresponding to the
>>> hidden text? They provide exactly the context needed to parse the
>>> visible text properly.
>>
>> I don’t think we need to, but I assume that tree-sitter will delete
>> the corresponding nodes if we hide the text from it.
>
> No, tree-sitter only deletes nodes that cover changes.
>
> So don't send a change that deletes the hidden text; just send changes
> in the visible part of the text (that's the only place the user can make
> changes). tree-sitter will only run the scanner on the change regions,
> so it will only request text from the visible part of the buffer;
> all the requests will succeed.

Then we are not hiding the hidden text from tree-sitter. The implementation you
described, IIUC, is essentially do nothing special when the buffer is narrowed.

>> For us, the text is there, just hidden; for tree-sitter, the text is
>> deleted.
>
> No, it simply won't notice that it can't access that part of the buffer,
> because it will never try.
>
> What, exactly, will the buffer-text fetch code do if tree-sitter
> violates the narrowing (by some error in tree-sitter or user code)?
> throw an exception? return a null string?

In my current implementation, if tree-sitter access buffer content outside of
narrowed region, it reads whitespaces, if it access buffer content outside of
the buffer, it reads null string. Neither case throws an error.

Yuan