Re: [SPAM UNSURE] Maybe we're taking a wrong approach towards tree-sitte

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [SPAM UNSURE] Maybe we're taking a wrong approach towards tree-sitter
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 14:50:41 +0300

> From: Andrei Kuznetsov <r12451428287@163.com>
> Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 19:43:03 +0800
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > Some of the tree-sitter development tools are implemented in Rust; you
> > only need Rust if you are developing/fixing a grammar for a language.
>
> If I understand this correctly, it means one would require the Rust
> toolchain to support new languages in tree-sitter, or to improve
> existing support.  Would that really fit Emacs?  I think many people
> might not be comfortable learning such a large language and toolchain to
> develop editing tools for Emacs.
>
> Furthermore, is there any concrete reason this could not be done in
> Lisp?

This has been discussed.  Patches to convert the TS grammar files to
Emacs Lisp and/or to maintain and develop them in Emacs Lisp will be
most welcome.

As usual with Free Software, it isn't an issue of what's desirable,
it's an issue with someone stepping forward to do the job of
developing this stuff.

TIA