Re: Context menus and mouse-3

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Context menus and mouse-3
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2021 14:08:43 -0400

Stefan Kangas [2021-07-19 19:48:21] wrote:
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>> IMO, it's not a good idea to use "modern" in variable names.
>> Something like mouse-friendly-mode or alt-mouse-mode, maybe?
> Sure, any of those would work.

To me none of them are any good, because the only useful word there is
`mouse` and it's still pretty vague.

AFAIK the first and most important element is to introduce the concept
of a "context menu" (via `content-menu-function` or something like that)
which modes can use to add there own entries.

Then as a second step comes the choice of how to give access to this
menu, and I wouldn't call that a "mode" because I can't see any reason
why it should be a binary choice.  This menu should be available by
default, the only user-config question is which key-binding(s) to use
for it (some of the choices being to override `down-mouse-3` (and hence
`mouse-3`), or to use `down-mouse-3` with a delay, ...).

        Stefan