Re: master 28e7b51: Rename shell-split-string to split-string-shell-comm

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: master 28e7b51: Rename shell-split-string to split-string-shell-command
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 13:48:02 +0200

> branch: master
> commit 28e7b5104141225f997c82c168a5e60a80caaf3e
> Author: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Commit: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
>
>     Rename shell-split-string to split-string-shell-command
>
>     * lisp/shell.el (split-string-shell-command):
>     * doc/lispref/processes.texi (Shell Arguments): Rename from
>     shell-split-string.

I'm not sure what the consensus is here, but one thing that we have
discussed is making similar functions use a shared prefix.  Such a
convention could replace the "old style" of starting function names
with a verb.  This would mean that most functions that manipulate
strings start with "string-", most regexp functions with "re-", etc.

If that's something we want to strive for, this particular function
could instead be named something like "string-split-shell-command".