Re: How to add pseudo vector types

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: How to add pseudo vector types
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2021 20:44:21 +0300

> From: Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2021 13:37:47 -0400
>
> Say I want to expose tree-sitter’s parser to lisp, and I define it as a new
> pseudo vector.
>
> struct Lisp_TS_Parser
> {
>   union vectorlike_header header;
>   Lisp_Object buffer;
>   TSParser *parser;
>   TSTree *tree;
>   TSInput input;
> };

Inside Emacs, or in a module?  I assume the former.

> Now if I want to return a Lisp_Object, do I initialize this struct and cast
> it into a Lisp_Object and return it? Like:
>
> Lisp_TS_parser lisp_parser;
> return (Lisp_Object)lisp_parser;

No, you need to define a proper Lisp_Object, and then define
functions/macros to make a Lisp_Object that represents the struct, and
vice versa.

> And how do I use a USER_PTR? Do I cast it into (struct Lisp_User_Ptr) and use
> it normally, or is there some helper function that I should use?

Look in lisp.h, you will find some infrastructure there.

> Are there examples of using pseudo vectors?

Every buffer, window, frame, and overlay is a pseudo vector.  Look how
these are handled in lisp.h and in the rest of the code, and you will
find a lot of examples.