Re: Better emoji support

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Better emoji support
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 17:38:42 +0200

    Robert> tr51 defines which codepoints have the 'Emoji' property, and
    Robert> which additionally have the 'Emoji_Presentation' property. The
latter
    Robert> means they should in the absence of a variation selector be
displayed
    Robert> as emoji.

    Robert> My current implementation assigns codepoints with the
    Robert> 'Emoji_Presentation' property to the 'emoji' script, since thatʼs
all
    Robert> we have to work with regarding font selection. But there are
    Robert> codepoints that donʼt have that property that *could* be displayed
as
    Robert> emoji, so perhaps I should base it off the 'Emoji' property instead?
    Robert> (with a small exception for codepoints <= #xAE).

Having re-read relevant parts if tr51, I misunderstood this
part. Everything with the Emoji property is an emoji, and should be
displayed as such. The Emoji_Presentation property is about whether to
use the Text or Emoji presentation by default, not the emoji-ness

So I can base it off the 'Emoji' property. Based on some quick
testing, emoji fonts donʼt have glyphs for those few emoji codepoints
that are ASCII, so I propose not treating those as emoji.

Robert