Re: Highlight current line when using gud

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Highlight current line when using gud
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 16:17:51 +0300

> From: Zhiwei Chen <chenzhiwei03@kuaishou.com>
> Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 12:53:08 +0000
> Cc: Condy Chen <condy0919@gmail.com>, emacs-devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> Case 1: Users don't use hl-line-mode.
> There will be no line highlighted in the source buffer.
>
> Case 2: Users use `hl-line-mode' but set `hl-line-sticky-flag' to nil.
> In that case, current line will be highlighted if and only if the point is in
> the source buffer. But if people type “n”, “bt”, “c” ... in the gud buffer,
> the line in the source buffer will not be highlighted due to the nil
> `hl-line-sticky-flag’.
>
> Case 3: Users use `hl-line-mode’ and set `hl-line-sticky-flag’ to t.
> It works well except that users should make sure `hl-line-face’ is
> distinguishable. For me (using doom-one theme), it’s hard to see the
> highlighted line.

But these are all user preferences, aren't they?  You have your
preferences, others have theirs.  No one said everyone needs to have
the current line highlighted in non-selected windows, even when
debugging.  It's up to the users whether they want it or not.

The question most important to me is: can you, with your preferences,
use hl-line-mode to produce the same effect as the patch you propose
would?  If yes, why do we need yet another user option?  And if you
cannot, can you explain why not?

Thanks.