Re: Make cross-compiling temacs easier: drop gnulib for build intermedia

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Make cross-compiling temacs easier: drop gnulib for build intermediates, or use recursive autoconf?
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2021 09:56:15 -0400

> These intermediates both use gnulib (with #include <config.h> etc), but
> configure.ac only configures gnulib for the host machine. So the headers,
> #defines, and library are all wrong for the build machine and compilation
> fails. To fix this, I'd like to rewrite make-fingerprint.c and
> make-docfile.c to avoid non-portable constructs and thus the dependency on
> gnulib, but I don't know if this is considered acceptable for a GNU
> project.

Have you looked at what that would take?
E.g. how do you plan to deal with the sha256 code used by make-fingerprint.c
and normally provided by gnulib?

How 'bout doing "a bit of both": i.e. use a separate gnulib+autoconf for
those two executables, but patch them when it's easy to try and minimize
the reliance on gnulib and autoconf?

        Stefan