Re: Emacs CLA requirement

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Emacs CLA requirement
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2021 11:49:41 +0200

Phil Sainty <psainty@orcon.net.nz> writes:

> I haven't been following any GCC or glibc discussions, though.  If
> they have reliably determined that the FSF can in fact legally defend
> arbitrary GNU project code by itself, without the involvement of any
> other copyright holders, then perhaps the situation is different.

I'm not very knowledgable here, but I think people would use

  git commit --signoff

which adds a Signed-off-by trailer by the committer at the end of the
commit log message.  The meaning of that trailer can be defined by the
project.

For the kernel, it is "I agree with the Developer Certificate of Origin,
http://developercertificate.org";.

For a GNU project, it could possibly be defined as "I transfer copyright
for this change to the FSF" or maybe just "I disclaim copyright for this
change".  Not sure how water-proof that is without signature or digital
certificate, though.

Bye,
Tassilo