Re: cc-mode fontification feels random

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: cc-mode fontification feels random
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2021 09:50:17 +0300

> From: Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es>
> Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2021 01:52:12 +0200
>
> More easily, you can use some of the editors that already use
> tree-sitter for fontification of C/C++ and do the PgDn test

I don't think that would teach us much, due to stark differences in
architectural design.  AFAIK, those other editors don't even implement
buffer text similar enough to how we do that, and that has significant
influence on the efficiency.

> (which looks like a rather silly test to me, because who navigates
> large files by holding PgDn and why Emacs should support that
> terrible use case well?)

We use it because it's easy, and because it measures the time it takes
to fontify a single window, not necessarily because this is what Emacs
users do most of the time.  If you want to suggest other use cases,
feel free, we can add them to the suite.  I'm quite sure the results
will be similar, modulo the redisplay optimizations.