Re: cc-mode fontification feels random

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: cc-mode fontification feels random
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 19:12:46 +0000

Hello, Daniel.

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 11:28:18 -0700, Daniel Colascione wrote:

[ .... ]

> native-comp?

Native compilation speeds up CC Mode only marginally.  On basically the
same benchmark, it was 13% faster with N.C.

> Hrm. That doesn't seem consistent with Alan's report that we spend a ton
> of time doing work like deciding whether a brace occurs at top-level. My
> question stands: what core facilities can we add to accelerate cc-mode's
> parsing here? There's got to be some efficiency we can gain here.

My gut feeling, not really backed up by much, is that only something like
LSP is really going to help.  There's nothing particularly inefficient in
CC Mode's fontification, it just does a very thorough job.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).