Re: master 4a1e97b: New user option for Git log switches

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: master 4a1e97b: New user option for Git log switches
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 04:40:40 +0300

On 10.06.2021 10:34, Michael Albinus wrote:

Existing vc-*-diff-switches declare

   :type '(choice (const :tag "Unspecified" nil)
                  (const :tag "None" t)
                  (string :tag "Argument String")
                  (repeat :tag "Argument List" :value ("") string)))

Existing vc-*-log-switches declare

   :type '(choice (const :tag "None" nil)
                  (string :tag "Argument String")
                  (repeat :tag "Argument List" :value ("") string)))

Right, so it's either follow the example of existing vc-git*-switches options, or of vc-*-log-switches options.

But to be frank the 'vc-annotate-switches' option is pretty useless, so the latter seems to be the better example.

I figured it wouldn't be too bad to allow that possibility in the
future, but you are probably right and we should simplify this.

In favor of uniformity, vc-git-log-switches might follow the scheme.

Now done in commit 86309efb4a.

'hg log' and 'git log' are pretty different after all.

Sure. But we're speaking about defcustom types, aren't we?

We were talking about whether having a possible value 't' is helpful for the discussed option. And that value allows delegating to a cross-backend variable, which is only useful when different backends can accept the same options.