Re: CSV parsing and other issues (Re: LC_NUMERIC)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: CSV parsing and other issues (Re: LC_NUMERIC)
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 17:10:51 -0400

> There are plenty of CSV dialects. If decimal separator is "," then office
> software uses ";" instead of comma as cell (field) separator.

But there's no reason to presume that a given CSV file was generated in
the same locale as the one we're currently using.

So the locale could be one ingredient in the machinery used to guess
which separator was used, but I'm not sure it would be of much help.

[ BTW, I'll take the opportunity to advocate for the use of TSV
  instead, which is slightly less ill-defined.  ]

        Stefan