Re: CSV parsing and other issues (Re: LC_NUMERIC)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: CSV parsing and other issues (Re: LC_NUMERIC)
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 22:23:51 +0300

> Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 15:04:53 -0400
> From: Boruch Baum <boruch_baum@gmx.com>
> Cc: manikulin@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > That would make the output of 'format' dependent on the current
> > locale
>
> That's the elisp programmer's business, not your responsibilty.

What could the Lisp programmer do in this situation?

>   + Elsip function `format' uses `printf' format specifiers.

Only for some of the 'format's capabilities, not for all of them.

>   + Elisp function `format' doesn't expose two of them.

I don't think it's TRT for Emacs to expose locale-dependent features
that cannot be controlled from Lisp, sorry.  We need to find a better
way.  For example, there could be a Lisp variable that specifies the
group separator character, and then 'format' could use that character
when the format spec includes %'.  Which means we'd need to implement
that in our own code; patches welcome.