Re: Question about native compilation

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Question about native compilation
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2021 14:17:35 -0400

> Currently I'm trying to change some 3rd party emacs lisp programs so
> they build and install .eln files if Emacs executable supports native
> compilation. For example I would like to write Makefile such as
> following.

I'll let someone else answer your immediate question, but I do want to
point out that generating the `.eln` files as part of installation of
the package is a bad idea: the `.eln` files are not just specific to the
package but also to the Emacs for which it was compiled, so next time
you use another version of Emacs, they'll have to be recompiled anyway.

For this reason, the way native compilation is currently arranged, it
automatically native-compiles the files on-demand, and pre-compiling
them during installation of a package is more trouble than it's
worth, IMO.

        Stefan