Re: CSV parsing and other issues (Re: LC_NUMERIC)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: CSV parsing and other issues (Re: LC_NUMERIC)
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2021 15:28:38 +0300

> Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2021 19:36:38 -0400
> From: Boruch Baum <boruch_baum@gmx.com>
> Cc: Maxim Nikulin <manikulin@gmail.com>, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
>
> 1] @Maxim: You seemed to indicate that the default emacs locale is 'C'.
>    That may be true

That's only true for LC_NUMERIC category.

> 2] @Eli: You wrote
>
> > > The problem with that, of course, is that not every supported
> > > platform can dynamically change the locale, let alone do that
> > > efficiently.
>
>    I have no idea to what actual supported platform you're referring.

GNU/Linux is the only one I know of that can efficiently switch
locales dynamically (and even that in recent versions of libc, AFAIR).

> > > Text processing in Emacs is generally separate from the current
> > > locale's rules,
> > > So passing a locale argument to functions that produce output,
> > > with the intent to request some behavior to be tailored to that
> > > locale, is the only reasonable way to have this kind
>
>    Agreed. My input here is that there should be clear documentation of
>    how to retrieve a value for that argument from a buffer's context,
>    (maybe the same way that flyspell does?).

Sorry, I don't see the relevance.  I was talking about calling
functions, so how does some buffer enter this picture?  Buffers don't
have anything to do with the locale used by library functions called
by Emacs.