Re: cc-mode fontification feels random

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: cc-mode fontification feels random
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2021 15:44:38 +0300

> Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2021 12:27:05 +0000
> Cc: dancol@dancol.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>
>
> > AFAIR, the way to tell JIT font-lock that a chunk of text was already
> > fontified is to set the 'fontified' property on that text.
>
> Sorry, I was unclear.  I was thinking of a signal from jit-lock to the
> major mode, indicating that background fontification had been completed.
> CC Mode could react to this by fontifying all occurrences in the buffer
> of "newly found" types.  Or something like that.

Sorry, I don't understand (probably because I missed the beginning of
this discussion): what do you mean by "background fontification", and
what does it mean for that to have been "completed"?  I'm afraid we
are not on the same page wrt JIT font-lock related terminology.

> Or maybe the fontification could be done immediately after parsing a new
> type.

Parsing by whom? by CC Mode?  If so, CC Mode parsing is itself part of
fontification, AFAIU, and is invoked by the JIT font-lock machinery.
So I'm confused wrt what you are looking for.