Re: Any way of dumping strings?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Any way of dumping strings?
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2021 09:08:59 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2021 15:30:34 -0400
>
> Óscar Fuentes [2021-06-02 20:55:07] wrote:
> > Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> writes:
> >> Have you tried the new `memory-report` function?
> > Yes, I mention that on the message you just quoted :-)
>
> Duh!  So, IIUC the report about the size of specific variables doesn't
> point give any hint about where those many strings&vectors are located?
> Too bad.  I hope once you find the origin of the problem we can refine
> `memory-report` so that it gives info which would have been helpful now.

I think a useful extension of memory-report would be optionally to
dump all live objects of a given type to somewhere.  The challenge of
doing that in Lisp is that doing so will generally cons more Lisp
objects, thus skewing both the memory report and possibly the dumped
objects as well.  Patches welcome.