Re: Bugfix for utf-8 XTerm/MinTTY and (set-input-meta-mode t)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Bugfix for utf-8 XTerm/MinTTY and (set-input-meta-mode t)
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2021 20:52:40 +0300

> Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2021 17:45:22 +0000
> From: Max Mikhanosha <max.mikhanosha@protonmail.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> On Tuesday, June 1st, 2021 at 1:29 PM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> > And btw, why do you use MetaSendEscape:false with these emulators? It
> > sounds like if you set MetaSendEscape:true, your problems will be
> > solved, no? FWIW, this is how I use terminal emulators here, for many
> > years, including with non-ASCII input (and of course Meta-characters),
> > and I have yet to see a single problem.
>
> Its because of vi. Not to start an argument, but evil package for emacs is
> best of both worlds,
> its vim with Elisp scripting, and my brain is already hardwired for vi keys
> for decades).

OK, but then it cannot really be anything but an opt-in behavior.  And
it cannot be hardcoded to depend on UTF-8 being the keyboard encoding,
because if a user sets the keyboard encoding to be UTF-8 (something
very popular these days), it doesn't mean the user gives up the
ability to type Latin characters in the 128 -- 255 range.

Also, you show the results with input-meta-mode nil or t, but the
default value is neither nil nor t.  What is the effect of the patch
when input-meta-mode is at its default value?