Re: Any downside to condition-case-unless-debug?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Any downside to condition-case-unless-debug?
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 19:22:10 -0400

> I feel like a lot of my debugging recently has involved various ways of
> working around `condition-case' and its swallowing of useful error
> information. Is there any reason not to prefer
> `condition-case-unless-debug' in new code?

IME, `condition-case-unless-debug' is used/useful mostly for
`condition-case` that catch "any error", most of which might be better
served by something like `with-demoted-errors`.

For those `condition-case` which catch one particular kind of error to
handle a particular expected situation (e.g. when catching `scan-error`
around a call to `forward-sexp`), `condition-case-unless-debug` rarely
makes sense.

        Stefan