sql change: NEWS entry necessary? or no defcustoms at all?

From: Ingo Lohmar
Subject: sql change: NEWS entry necessary? or no defcustoms at all?
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 19:26:18 +0000

A week ago, I added (on master, dac694b8bb) the defcustom
`sql-postgres-statement-starters'.  It is a regexp for
sql-product-specific additional statement start commands, analogous to
the existing `sql-oracle-statement-starters'.  It now occurs to me that
my commit may lack a NEWS entry, after all it's a new user option.

The reason I did not add an entry, and that now I am asking for
guidance, is that this "option" should, IMO, ideally be a defvar (or
even defconst), it's *not* really intended for customization, but just
states some knowledge about PostgreSQL.  The reason I still did use a
defcustom was only for the analogy with the Oracle-specific variable.

WDYT?