Re: Cycling first N heading levels in outline

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Cycling first N heading levels in outline
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 21:57:22 +0800

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

> Especially for Org users the outline-minor-mode is universal and gives
> similar concepts of outline in various other modes:

Thanks for pointing this out. A long time ago, before I knew about
outline-minor-mode, I started using hideshow package with similar
functionality. Now, comparing the two, I can see how outline-minor-mode
can be sometimes better (not always though).

> - editing Emacs Lisp? Fold levels, sections, functions and open it. It
>   gives visual index of functions, it becomes very easy to move them
>   from place to place;

outline-minor-mode is definitely very nice when handling Elisp file
sections. Yet, it unfortunately cannot fold sexps inside functions
independently, unlike hideshow (correct me if I am wrong). I ended up
using both outline-minor-mode and hs-minor-mode for the time being. The
former for folding top-level defuns and comments and the latter for
folding sexps inside defuns.

Best,
Ihor