Re: master 47070ed 6/6: Merge branch 'master' of git.sv.gnu.org:/srv/git

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master 47070ed 6/6: Merge branch 'master' of git.sv.gnu.org:/srv/git/emacs
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 10:00:44 +0300

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Cc: rpluim@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 01:23:12 -0400
>
>   > I see nothing wrong with what you did, it's one way of dealing with
>   > local changes when you update from upstream.
>
> That is a relief.
>
> But still -- what sort of answer was Git looking for
> when it asked me the reason for that merge?

Do you remember the question it asked?  Was it something like the
below?

  # Please enter a commit message to explain why this merge is necessary,
  # especially if it merges an updated upstream into a topic branch.
  #
  # Lines starting with '#' will be ignored and an empty message aborts
  # the commit.

If so, this is not really a question you need to answer.  The line
above it is the merge-commit log message Git prepares for you (it
probably said something like "Merge branch 'master' of
git.sv.gnu.org:/srv/git/emacs"), so basically all you need to do is
"C-c C-c" to let Git use that standard message and proceed with the
merge.

What Git wants is to encourage you to edit the log message saying why
you did the merge, but in cases like yours there's no good reason
worthy of describing, so most people simply ignore that and use the
standard log message instead without any changes.